Sunday, March 10, 2013

ALL VINTAGE EVERYTHING SUNDAYS

 (me rocking the 1950s in 2005)

Have you ever been thrifting and you see some girl next to you bragging about her awesome vintage find when it's really just old H&M?

So recently I've noticed that a lot of people are confusing thrift store items with vintage. Yes you can find vintage pieces at a thrift store but not everything you buy at the thrift store is VINTAGE people!

A thrift store/charity shop/secondhand store sells used/new clothes or items donated/sold by locals in the community/area. Some stores may have a vintage section or items labeled vintage but majority of the clothes are not.
A vintage store sells only used/new clothes or items 20 yrs or older (ex. 1920s-1990s). You can tell by the quality, tags and stitching that it's authentic.

It seems that since the 90s are now considered vintage it has totally brought the taste level WAY DOWN and now you're seeing more and more oversized slouchy $1 bin floral dresses or dip dyed studded cut off denim shorts all over the internet...selling for ridiculous prices! It's gotten so bad that even the thrift stores are supplying more 90s crap too.
Vintage is my life and I try to incorporate it into my every day outfits even it's a little or a lot. When I started this blog 3 yrs ago I used to wear vintage from head to toe but due to the heavy saturation of everyone and their Mom, it's even hard for me to find the good stuff...no matter how far out I drive these days! Not only that but I have grown up tremendously and my style has as well.

 For the first time ever I'm kinda happy to see vintage inspired looks from the 40s, 50s and 60s splashed all over the runways. Showing me that there is light at the end of this "90s grunge" tunnel and real vintage will live again! I'm also making it my duty to show you what vintage from other eras look like while staying on trend. Of course I will be over the top but you can still draw inspiration from the individual pieces. So look forward to All Vintage Everything, every Sunday...a head to toe vintage outfit and pieces I love online!

I will still be wearing vintage in my other looks throughout the week too...DUH!

kiss kiss,
Virgin

18 comments:

Eat.Style.Play said...

Am I the only one thats bothering by the fact that the 90's was so long ago. I'm seeing vintage with "90" on it as well. When i think of 1993 i think, gawd 20 years. Anyway, I hear you, and most of the times places have the tags in there H&M isn't that old to even be considered Vintage in this aspect. I'm not as passionate as you are about the subject, but I do feel on mislabeling. Everything from the thrift store isn't vintage.

Milex said...

I'm fascinated by you

Oroma Roxella Rukevwe said...

Omg, the first comment, she's right. It's kinda hard to believe the 90's were 20 years ago. Woah.
Well, the early 90's anyway.

I'm looking forward to your vintage everything Sundays x


New Outfit Post: Personal Style Blog By ORR

vintageadolescent said...

you are seriously the coolest mum EVER

DISOWNED said...

Love this dress! So cute and retro!!!!

<3 dani
www.shopdisowned.com
http://disownedclothing.blogspot.com

FASHION SNAG said...

I totally agree with you on the vintage thing. It is really hard to find vintage from the 60s so if you have any styles from the late 60s I would love to see them! I love the dress on you by the way.

www.FashionSnag.com

Adelajda said...

so vintage!

Fancy Muffin said...

I couldn't agree with you any better, it's hard these days to find wonderful vintage pieces, I have been shopping thrift store for the longest time (since I was little) and I have noticed the decline in authentic vintages pieces (boohoo. I am hopeful for the vintage future though:)
xx

Liz said...

Totally agree!!! I wish people would have the common sense to do a little research on identifying vintage pieces. Google wasn't around when I started my love affair with vintage and had to learn from books(gasp!) and from mentors in the vintage business. The current trends taking inspiration from the past will always be a "thing", but damn! it feels good when you see an image on style.com and know for sure that you could recreate the whole look from the archives in your closet!

Liberty Georgina said...

Beautiful dress!
I love going to charity shops and jumble sales, I end up picking up some great clothes from the 60's or 70's.
I really cannot stand it though when I browse through the vintage tag on eBay, only to find two year old H&M dresses with bobbled fabric.
It's hard to indicate that 90's is now classed as 'vintage' considering some sellers do not understand the quality and design of clothes in that category!
<3

HayleyMG said...

love love the photo! You look awesome :P the dress is gorgeous aswell! i agree i hate it when people think something from new look or h&m, modern brands is vintage! Vintage items is something very very old!

Hayley xx
www.addictionstoshopping.blogspot.com

Jay said...

The All Vintage Sundays are a great idea! :D

Jacqueline Elliott said...

I know exactly what you mean! I used to go to the MCC store and Value Village for vintage...Never again since an actual vintage shop opened in our town! That dress looks so adorable. You look like you stepped right out of a 1950's soda shop. ♥

xx, jackie
http://wussinboots.blogspot.ca/

vain319 said...

I am glad I am a proud Vintage wearer/Ebay seller that actually knows my vintage pieces.. I love when people slam sellers for not knowing the difference.*Not you Mama**some commenters..Don't buy from them,not a big deal..most are newbies anyway..most seasoned sellers with the higher numbers know the difference,hence the price.Sorry about the book here..yes,not all Ebayers know their classifications or know about service,but some buyers aren't that great either..AnyHoo..I love your style,I Think you are awesome! I love that you want to rep the look in whole,keep doin' whatcha do Mama..I sell it all real vintage to now..Let fashion lead you where you want to go.Oh, and if you want the really good real vintage get your wallets out folks because good wearable no issues vintage is rare.

Sally said...

You look adorable! Thank you so much for clarifying all of this. Thrifting newbies, or people who don't bother to do their research are so irritating.

casper+pearl said...

gorgeous style, adoring your blog miss!
would love to see you in casper&pearl one day!

lots of love from the c&p girls,
casper&pearl blog
xx

Anonymous said...

Amen!

M I N G said...

I absolutely love this post!!! I know exactly what you're talking bout! Just stay fly and do you! The real will recognize you for you good doings girl.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...